How to choose a club fitter:AKA the most important page to read on this website about club fitting.
FIRST PRIORITY IS TO CHECK YOUR CURRENT CLUBS AND LOOK AT WHERE YOU ARE HITTING THE BALL ON THE FACE. CENTER FACE CONTACT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RESULT FROM A GOLF CLUB THAT OPTIMIZES DISTANCE, DIRECTION AND HEIGHT. WE GUARANTEE IT. IF YOUR FITTER DOESN’T YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE. LOOK AT THE PICTURE OF THE CLUB FACE BELOW. SWEET FEEL! Look for referrals like the one below and all the rest in our reviews page:
Just wanted to drop you a line about how fantastic the clubs you made for me are. The more I play with them the more I appreciate them. The ball comes off like a rocket. I’m hitting straighter and longer than ever. I never even feel the ball at impact. Having said all that, the best thing is that each club feels the same which is helped immensely in grooving a repeatable swing. Please feel free to use this as a testimonial.
Dave from Toronto
What to look for in your club fitter:
- Your club fitter will assemble the clubs for you to tightest tolerances in the golf industry
- HE GUARANTEES CENTER FACE CONTACT
- Experienced: the more fittings I do the better I get even in my 18th season
- Someone who has kept current with launch monitors and swing theory: the more accurate the data the better the fit so we invested in the new Quad
- training in swing and biomechanics
- Certified by someone other than himself: the more certifications the better
- Passionate about golf and a good player is also a plus
- Swing theory based on science not myths and tradition
- Someone who doesn’t watch the clock and try to gouge you
- Someone who is interested in helping you play better and have more fun: i.e. caring
- Someone who can communicate complex issues clearly and simply
- Someone committed to improving your enjoyment and golf skills
- Someone patient and willing to educate you in the process and the technology
- Someone who understands the short game
These traits will guarantee that your fitter will really dig into the root causes of your swing issues, physique issues and equipment issues. It ensures that your fitter knows what clubs can and cannot do for your swing. It ensures that the fitter is not just creating a new different set of compensations in your golf swing by building less than perfect clubs. If you would like more information on this concept go to the page on integrated custom club fitting.
It also helps a great deal if your club fitter and/or teacher is an accomplished player who has worked through what it takes to play great golf. I offer my handicap card from a few years ago. That card is proof of the level of play I accomplished. I do this to show that I know what it takes to shoot low scores and that I will pass that hard earned knowledge along to you.
The main reason I was able to get to this level was the best fitted clubs on the planet: my own of course!
Of course there are other variables that contribute to a tour level fitting. Fill out the contact form for a FREE white paper with more tips for picking a top level fitter. The better the fit, the better your clubs will perform for you. To play your best you need the best fit possible. If you want suggestions of where to find a good fitter in your area mention that in your email.
You can read more on tour level club fitting below.
If you would like a FREE phone consultation call me. If you want more information read on below.
Get the best custom golf club fit in the Buffalo, Toronto, and Niagara region. Clients have driven from Ottawa, Huntsville, Bracebridge , Oakville, Newmarket, Aurora, the greater Toronto area, London, Kitchener Waterloo, and of course closer to home from Welland, St. Catharines, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Fort Erie, Port Colbourne, Hamilton, Anncaster, Simcoe and other locations in the Niagara region. Call to book a club fitting and find out why people drive so far to see me for personalized golf programs and clubs.
If you want to be the best golfer that you can be; then you need golf clubs that are the best match for your physique, swing style and body type. How can somebody fit you for golf clubs if they don’t know much about the swing or if they have not kept up with current science on golf swing biomechanics.
Ben Hogan once said you are only as good as your clubs allow you to be.
I would add to that: your clubs will only be as good as the person who fits them and assembles them. If the clubs that supposedly are best for you are already in stock, you have not been custom fitted.
I’ve had numerous clients come to me saying they were custom fitted and asking me to tweak those clubs for them because the manufacturers said the clubs are within the advertised tolerances and they will not tweak the clubs any further. Clearly if the clubs are not assembled to the exact specifications determined during the testing they are truly not custom clubs.
So what I’m saying is that not all club fitters are professional and qualified. Not all custom club fitting is the same; so before you drop down your hard-earned cash, check out the person’s experience and certifications. The better certified, the better qualified, the better the fit will be.
Club fitting is about matching golf clubs to your body type, physique, athleticism, and swing style
There is also a tendency in the golf industry for people to tout all of their talents and background and there are even some who give himself important sounding titles and certifications. It is important that you ask to see those certifications and that you check to make sure that those certifications have been earned from reputable golf performance centers. Be wary of the hobbyist club fitter who seems to be springing up everywhere.
- It therefore stands to reason that your club fitter must have a thorough understanding of how the body moves during the golf swing and knowledge of the proper elements of a biomechanically sound golf swing.
- You want a golf club fitter who knows the difference between a swing problem, a physique problem, and an equipment problem. There are too many club fitters who don’t understand the golf swing well enough and who try to fix every issue in your swing with equipment. This is just not possible; no golf club can fix every swing error. In many cases it can be an unknown physique issue which is preventing you from swinging properly. In the final analysis a club fitter must be able to get you center face contact no matter what is causing the mishits.
- The next thing that you should absolutely insist on or look for is a club fitter who also assembles the clubs for you. I have had cases where 1 gram of weight on the club head made a difference in center face contact, a dramatic difference even for a single-digit golfer. If the club fitter cannot assemble your new clubs to tight specifications, better than plus or minus 1 gram, then the final assembled clubs you take to the course will not give you the results obtained during the fitting process. The final assembled club that you get will not precisely match the club that you hit successfully during the fitting studio. The result: you will not play your best golf with the new clubs. Moral of the story: the assembly procedures must be as good as the fit. This is why I build the clubs on a blueprint before starting the physical building process.
- If the clubs are already assembled or if they’re being assembled in a factory by piece workers who are paid by the piece or by the hour you are not getting true custom clubs and they will not be the best club for you. I can share true life stories with you that have cost clients of mine time, money and aggravation. Fill out the contact form if you want more information.
If you would like more information on how I earned my certifications fill out the form below and I will send you my list of credentials and experience.
I also highly recommend that you go to the ICG website to locate professional fitters in your area. Like any business some are better than others and I would be happy to recommend fitters in your area. If you would like some guidance fill out the form below telling where you live and I will send you some names to contact.
Don’t base your choice of club fitter on just club fitting. Also look for some certification in golf fitness and biomechanics as well as swing instruction. Look for these logos at your club fitter’s shop. Of course any of these certifications without club fitting certifications are not going to produce great clubs for you. However, one or more of these will lead to a better fit than you would get from just a club fitter. Certifications without experience will not result in the best fit for you. Fitting is part art and part science and requires as much training and experience as possible.
Good testimonials from clients are also very important but be sure to look for authenticity and some way to verify that the reviews on their sites are legitimate. Check out my reviews page.